Wednesday, 1 March 2017

February 2017 Reading and Writing Recap

I'm back with my monthly reading and writing recap, a feature I started last month.

February TBR at the start of the month

Reading

I read 18 books in February: 13 were physical copies, 2 were ebooks, and 3 were audio books.

My reading felt a little off this month. I found it hard to pay attention and a couple of books took me longer than I usually like. That's never a good sign for me, it usually means I'm not enjoying the book but I don't dislike it enough to DNF.

The physical copies I read this month, minus some library books

You can follow what I'm reading via Goodreads or my bookstagram account: @booksandmanicures.

On a related note, I got new bookshelves! My boyfriend and I paid a visit to Ikea and picked up three Kallax shelves, put them together, and added castors so they're easy to move. These are up in the loft which is where I store all the books I've read and want to keep. This is triple the bookshelf space I had previously so I am one happy booklover.



I also got the chance to meet Melbourne YA author Nicole Hayes when she visited Sydney for a bookshop tour. I went up to Beachside Bookshop and got my books signed.



Writing

In January my goal was to have 60K words by the end of February. I'm happy to report I achieved that. Yesterday I reached just over 60K words and I'm calling my first draft DONE! As I mentioned, I haven't been editing during the writing process, so of course I've already thought of a dozen things I want to add or remove from the story. But, I'm going to take Stephen King's advice and leave my first draft for six weeks and move onto something else before I reread and begin editing.

As of today I'm going to begin work on a new story. Again it will be a contemporary YA novel set in Australia, and I'm going to do some planning and plotting before I start writing. My rough average seems to be 20K words a month, so I'm going to make that my goal for March.

I had one writing book I wanted to read last month, but unfortunately I neglected to start it until only a few days ago. The book is How Writing Works by Roslyn Petelin. It's aimed at professional writers, but there's advice in there that's applicable to creative writing too. It's due back at the library, but it's a book I'll be returning to in the future.



Some websites and blogs I'd like to check out this month:


2 comments:

  1. Nice to hear what you've been up to in your reading and writing.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oooh I'm really excited to read the bone gap because it seems like such a beautiful book!

    xx Anisha @ Sprinkled Pages

    ReplyDelete

Hi, hi, hi!
Thanks so much for visiting and taking the time to comment.
My priority is to return comments on YOUR blogs because I know how much a comment can make someone's day!
If I have time I will also try to comment back on my blog.
Mands xox